In the scorching summer heat, homeowners want to do everything possible to keep their cooling system running at its best. Air conditioning maintenance in Citrus Heights, CA is of vital importance to staying cool in the hot days of summer. These five tips will help ensure your air conditioning unit is well maintained.
1. Clean and check your coils on an annual basis. The evaporator coil and the condenser coil collect dirt over time and can slow down the functionality of your unit. Check your evaporator coil every year and clean or replace it as necessary. It’s a simple way to avoid a major repair bill. Be sure to check the outdoor condenser coil for visible dirt and dust.
2. Change the filters on a semi-annual basis. This is probably the easiest and most effective measure of preventive maintenance. It can help avoid costly repairs because clean filters increase the efficiency of your unit. Not maintaining a clean filter can increase your energy consumption by up to 15%.
3. Check for leaks in the duct work on a quarterly basis. Notice a sudden inefficiency in your AC? Give the ducts in your house the once over and seal and repair any leaks, tears or other visible damage.
4. Remove brush and debris on a weekly basis. Inspect your outdoor unit for fallen tree limbs, overgrown brush, unraked leaves and other debris. This is especially important after a storm, following construction and after an outdoor party.
5. Keep the fins straight on an as-needed basis. Any decrease in air-flow can also be caused by curved or bent fins. Carefully straighten bowed or damaged fins with a simple butter knife or purchase a fin-straightening tool from your local home improvement store. Proceed with caution and be sure to completely cut the power to your unit before undertaking this step.
Air conditioning maintenance in Citrus Heights, CA is a smart move! It reduces costly repairs, decreases energy bills, and allows you to maintain peace of mind. It can also help you avoid replacing the unit altogether. Call us today for a repair estimate and timeline you’ll love.